Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuesday, 15 June 2010

Payday... :) I only say that because this one was nice.. :) Since I arrived in country (they call it BOG - Boots on Ground) on 30 May.. I am entitled to the whole month of May tax free.. :) woohoo.. :) so, this was a nice chunk of change, altho - I will say - it came at a brilliant time because there is ALOT going on at home.
The kids are out of school this week and fly to MS on Thursday. The boys will be there for about 6 weeks and Katrina will be there for about 3. I have to fly her back early so that she doesn't miss too much cheer practice and get kicked off the team..
My parents are driving up to Oregan to close up their house and bring ALL of their belongings (officially move) to the house.. so - when Katrina flies back early.. she will be staying with one friend for about 2 weeks.. then another for another 2 weeks, while waiting on Grandma and Papa to get home.. ITs a busy month for everyone I suppose and the preparations are in full force right now.. :)

As far as today.. it was a slow day.. good for my fellow service members!
I did get a new barracks room today.. the down fall is that there is only 2 lockers - vice 3 - and there are 3 of us in there.. I made do.. I bought a plastic dresser from the little Exchange (trailer) we have here and will suffice. The good news is.. both my roommates leave in a few weeks.. I will get more.. but when they leave.. i will get to move to the single bed.. vice being on the top rack of the bunk bed!

I am still in awe about the senior leadership here. I work just a few doors down from the Col that runs USFOR-A and a few doors down from that the Generals.. Its crazy.. I don't think I have seen so many stars this close up before.. :) I have to laugh.. because I used to just hear names on TV.. now I see them in person and its crazy.. lol

Beyond that, just got off the phone with my mom tonight. We always chit chat for about 40 minutes each night after I get off the phone. Its very nice and makes me feel closer to home, thats for sure! I am very grateful at how advanced we are technologically - which makes this possible!

I am still a bit preturbed at the sense of entitlement some of these people here have.. and Im not talking about the O6 and above.. Im talking just some of the O4s and O5s.. and to be honest.. most of those with that mentality.. are reservists, that were activated.. that have simply just been reserve long enough to put on O4/O5..
We all have to earn our keep... nothing is entitled to us.. we are in a war zone. Everyone is 3 to a room.. no matter who you are.. (okay.. maybe the generals get their own living quarters.. but they've earned it.. I think they've been in longer than I have been alive!! LOL)

I look out beyond the wires today (outside the compound) and can see the mountains and houses up on the hill in Kabul. I am not sure if that is a cool site.. or scary.. I tend to find myself looking to any sign of snipers... lol I shouldn't laugh.. because anything is possible!

Everynight at about 2000 they play their music (in Kabul..the Afghans) extremely loud so that our compound can hear it clearly.. I am sure they do this on purpose - and whats worse.. they do it all throughout the night too.. lol you can wake up at 2 am and hear Afghani music over some stupid loud speaker in their city.. and our compound is just overtaken by it.. I mean.. its not blaring.. but.. its there.. in the back ground.. no matter where you are on this base.. you will hear it.. and they know it..

I have met some really cool people here.. and some not so much..
I do miss my BBF (Battle Buddy Forever - Michelle!! :)).. she is over in IRAQ now.. but doing a pretty awesome job and I think having fun with it..

I have yet to see Donovan.. hopefully soon (HINT HINT) since he is just a little bit up the road at a different compound..

I have taken some pics today and will upload them when I can..
Gonna go see if my new roomies are in and make sure everything is kosher!
More tomorrow..

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear things are settling in somewhat. Thanks for spelling out your abbreviations for tards like me hahaha *hugs

    ReplyDelete