Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday 11 Jun 2010

So I made it! I am finally in Kabul, with quite the story to tell...
So continuing on from the last time, I stayed the night at the Air Base, expecting to be on the next flight to Bagram at 1230, so it was definitely a ground hog day - but atleast I was plenty rested and felt a little better!
I started my morning by lugging all 4 of my seabags back to the tent 1 - in preps for the flight that afternoon... So after waiting and waiting, its about 1130 - the time for roll call for the flight.. and they announce that our flight is being rerouted and the next flight would not be until 1930 - but it was for R&R passengers and they had priority.. so, OMG.. I am pisst.. lol and hot and tired.. again.. this heat wears you out! So I finally hook up with the NAVY LNO where I find out I am actually with a group of about 6 other Navy personnel (only 36 hours after I arrive...mmhmm.. shitty communication on their part!) so - they tell us they can try to get us on the next flight, but plan on us staying until the next day becuase it doesn't look likely..
SO - I, instead of moving all 4 seabags, grab one small bag of overnight necessities and take my self back to my little tent.. to take a nap. I finally fall sleep (resigned to the idea of going thru this ALL OVER AGAIN - to be woke up by one of the guys in my group telling me we were on.. we got on the flight! SO -I round up my stuff, head out to the mustering location and sure enough, we are mustered and getting ready to finally leave!
WOOHOO! I just wanted out of the heat.
So - we get loaded on the busses, and head to the run way.. where we hear - they aren't ready for us - errghh.. so I think the same thing is going to happen that happened yesterday.. BUT it didn't. They just needed another 20 minutes or so, so we hung out there on the busses waiting to load!
We loaded into a C130 - the center of the plan was our seats. 4 rows.. 2 facing eachother... and seriously, the space between them... your knees were in someone else's crotch.. yes.. no kidding.. that is how close we were. PLus we had our carry ons that had to be on our laps, becuase there is not luggage area and we were definitely squished in.. BUT - we were headed to Bagram! Finally.. so we dealt with it!
The plane ride was 6 hours long.. we arrived in Bagram about 2 am I think.. something like that.. and was immediately wisked off (the 7 navy) to the inprocessing center.. where (at 230 in the morning we listened to a PPT brief, filled out some paperwork and were told that we would be leaving in a few hours.. we had to option to go to temporary berthing.. but, we just decided to hang out at the USO.
within a few hours we were mustered and told that we would be taken by CONVOY.. not by plane as originally planned (for whatever reason) to Camp Eggers... Are you kidding me?This was not what I was expecting nor desiring to be honest.. I had a fear in me that you would not understand. AND the worst part - I couldn't call my mom and tell her "Hey, plans changed, we are leaving by convoy soon.." becuase I didn't want her to worry... I was worried enough for us all.
So - Go time.. we load up in MRAPS (I have several pics I will upload later) and start our journey. Every bump, every ditch, scared the hell out of me.. I could not believe I was in Bagram Afghanistan, taking a Convoy to my base.. I was praying the whole time, as well as taking pictures..
I have lots of pics to upload, rather than just describe, but I will tell you - some areas were just tents, some looked like mud shacks and others were bldgs that looked run down. It was very reminiscent of Panama living conditions.. Those of you that went on deployment with me, will know what I mean, especially once you see the pics.
So we arrived - and my boss picked me up.. we stopped and picked up my ammo, and then headed to my area, where I saw my office, and my temporary berthing tent.. ONE tent, 20 bunkbed racks, no lockers and space hoggers.. yes.. space hoggers.. 2 of my seabags my boss took to his room to hold.. there would be no way to fit all 4 of mine in there..
I took a much needed shower, called my parents and then went to bed. I was out by about 8pm and woke up about 5 am this morning.
BTW - all my battle buddies are here! :) It was sooo nice to see familiar faces at dinner last night (Steak and Lobster..btw) - I feel much better now that I am with people I know!
Gotta go get checked in and start the process.. looks like I will be working the 2200 to 1000 shift. Will write more later when I can and upload pics..

1 comment:

  1. I love you sis, looking forward to seeing the pictures. <3

    ReplyDelete