Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tuesday, 1 Jun 2010

Well, today was another brief on cultural awareness and 4 hours of death by power point. BUT, the good thing is - after that we were off for the rest of the day. SO, I started my day at 0630 - went and took a shower and then a few of us walked the 1/2 mile to Starbucks for breakfast, rather than the DFAC. After that we went to our class. Half way thru we lost power throughout the camp for about 40 minutes. Even inside an A/C'd tent, once the AC goes out - it gets warm fast - especially when the temp outside is about 115 degrees. We finished up at noon and I came back and took a nap. Fortunately, about an hour before the brief was complete, the Generators were back up and AC kickin hard. I slept for about 3 hours.. lol
It felt good! So, I woke up to an email from my boss explaining that I was actually headed to the other camp sooner than expected. I can't give out dates, but suffice it to say I will be headed to Camp "Cupcake" as they call it, sooner than expected, which means my final destination - earlier than expected. I have to say I am happy about that. Once I get settled in my locations, I will let you all know where I am, and that I am okay. ;)
Tonight, at 1900 the females had to go to a Sexual Assault brief - which was good. Alot of us were a little irritated at how it came about, the communication methods, etc, but in the end, it was useful information and great self defense techniques. Apparently, there is a lot of violent sexual assaults in theatre - so they were stressing the buddy system, and then self defense measures. In the end, it worked out well and I am glad the CAPT arranged it for us.
Apparently, it has become a concern to the DOD - but - doesn't seem like that in the army.. I was a little surprised (as were some of the other females) at how far away they put us from the CADILLACs (little bathroom stalls (with a sink/flushable toilet), PORTA POTTIES and SHOWER trailers. To all those that didn't know - we have no plumming here.. so there are porta potties OR Cadillacs which are 2 rooms with an actual real toilet and sink.. and then - we have shower trailers.. they are a good jaunt from our tent - but they work.. the water pressure is great and there are about 15 shower stalls and about 5 sinks.. so - no issues in the morning between the women.
The problem is that they are the furthest from our tents, and yet they fear we could be trapped in one by a male - since there is no lock on the door.. Apparently, that is how the last attack occurred. Anyhow, I guess it all comes with the territory. It happens every where - it just happens a little more on bases where the policy is NO SEX - regardless if you are there for 6 months.. or 2 years.. lol
After training, I find myself just chillin out. Layin on my cot, and enjoying the AC of our tent and shooting the shit with the rest of the girls in here. Fortunately, for the most part - we all get along.
Okay - not alot has happened today. OH - I did go to the Taco Bell - surprisingly it was pretty good. :) AND I sent off some goodies for the family!
Okay, enough from me tonight.. more tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that they are taking care of you over there, I hope you have time to keep up the P90X! Talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete