Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday, 13 June 2010

My day started at 0500 so that I could be in the office by 6am today. We had some work done on the base last night which required the power to be out.. if the power was not back on or our network not up - I would have had to walk over to ISAF again (outside the wires) to set up shop for the day there.. BUT FORTUNATELY, everything was in good working order and I jumped right in. Implemented some new check sheets to ensure we are on the same page as Kuwait (where we send our data) and jumped into verifying records.. I stayed busy all day. It was nice.
I have now met all but 1 of the guys that work for me. Tomorrow night at our turnover we will have a pow wow and I will set down some of my expectations.
I actually enjoy the job here so far. We definitely stay busy - we are undermanned, in my opinion of junior enlisted personnel. I have never been to a command or a base - let alone a Code itself that is soo top heavy. Its a good thing this base is cover optional - altho the only saluting going on is to the generals and above - you will still stay busy saluting.. It is rediculous. The thing about my code is that we have plenty of officers - with made up/created jobs and not enough enlisted to get our job done. Kuwait CAC has almost 4 times the crew I have.. so I will definitely stay busy and in the weeds in this job. I don't mind staying busy, but it would be nice to have a little more help than what we have now.
Anyhow, I will tell you - I (except for RIMPAC.. ) have never seen soo many foreign military working together.. and I mean TOGETHER in an office.. Italian, Australian, British, Turkey, I could go on and on, but it's pretty neat to see all the joint forces working together (and it was pretty cool listening to that Italian army guy talk on the phone in Italian yesterday, too...) I have to admit, thats kinda hot.. lol
Anyways, I will start my nights this week which is good.. becuase that means I will get this Friday off. :)
Today was the Bazaar.. found lots of cool things.. things I will eventually buy.. gift ideas, etc.. but will have to manage my time.. the Bazaar is here every Sunday and I have atleast 49 more to attend before leaving here.. :)
I did make a promise to a guy today that I would be back next week to buy something he had.. (a gift..) but today was just a day for me to look and see what was out there and how much you can talk the prices down.. some of these guys are crazy here.. and yet some.. really good prices.. movies.. $2.00 a peice. DVD Series Sets.. and I mean like seasons 1-5 or all seasons.. anywhere from $20-30 MAX.. I can see it already.. I will have boxes of movies to send home before I leave here.. :)
Thats about it for the happenings today.
Oh.. I pisst a marine MAJ off today that works in with my boss.. see.. here's the deal
My boss wants me to go to Camp Julien - its an overnight trip - for some training. I wouldn't mind the training (altho I think I got it in Camp Virgnia) - can't really talk about that part.. BUT - here's the problem.. I read about the Convoy that was attacked a couple weeks ago on their way to Camp Julien. 2 Vehicles blown away.. several casualties.. (and by casualties.. I don't just mean injured.. ) I read the reports today... (after being told yesterday about this course).. I happened upon some reports today (I had no idea..) and after reading them I told my boss there is no way I am going that far and OMG.. no.. I don't want to be in one of my own reports.. Besides, I honestly think I had the training already.. Anyhow, the Marine MAJ was mad when I said I was scared and dont want to die.. lol It literally pissed him off.. he said I should give up my hazardous duty pay.. okay. .seriously dude.. its $100 fucking dollars extra a month.. really? We should be getting paid a whole lot more than that for where we work! Come on.. its okay to be scared! Obviously, if I got ordered to go, I would; but - if I had my choice, I would rather not! This guy was like - "Just up your insurance" - my boss defended me "She has kids to think about" his reply: "You have kids? How many" I said: "Three" He said: "I have 5. I just upped my insurance" - OKAY mister Macho Marine guy.. you be tough.. I will continue to be fearful of my life.. becuase your complacency.. will get you killed.. my fears - will keep me alert and alive!
errghh..
Then i felt bad becuase I didn't want this guy pisst at me.. (altho I am allowed to feel how I feel) its not good to piss off the other officers on your 2nd day at work..LOL
Owell.. just got off a 14 hours shift.. gonna go chill for the night and maybe watch one of the movies I bought today. :)
More tomorrow..

1 comment:

  1. What a jerk, you are wise to be alert and careful, if he wants to play the macho hero with lives, let it be his own. I would think once you (meaning anyone) lose that fear, you let your guard down. As for the Italian guy... ahahaha...all i can say is i loves ya **and take numbers lol** .... hope you get the rest you need sis, Your ALWAYS on my mind, i love and miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete