Thursday, September 9, 2010

Camp Phoenix

Camp phoenix...
as I get in the car to leave, we get our briefing. This is to allow is to know the threats, and know what to be on the look out for...
We are told that there is suspected to be 3 suicide bombers in out general vicinity, and what to look for, so you can imagine the a fear that built up...along with the adrenaline, as we departed NKC and made our short commute to Camp Phoenix..
the ride was uneventful,which allowed me to take some pictures, most of which you can already view on my FB account. when I arrived, Donovan took me under his wing, and gave me the grand tour. He showed me the shops they have, their Bizaar and basically the entire base..it was pretty enlightening to see the differences in the Camps...
I went to the unit that I needed to give some training to, spent about an hour with them training them. It was a great session.
After completing my training with them, we continued our tour and I met some good POCs for future reference. We ate dinner At the BBQ shack...which was missing the BBQ..lol but all was good. I saw many new faces which was nice after seeing the same thing and the same people for the last few months. We finished our tours and food and then it was volleyball time. Luckily we were early, so I was able to get my own workout in..to include ab Ripper X. ;) Finally most people showed and I watched Don in action as he played valley ball with the French and Bulgarian guys...it was a pleasant site.. ;)

After a couple hours at the gym, and a shower later, we met back up at Dons office and just chit chatted with him and his crew until it got so late, we were both exhausted. The following morning I headed back to my own camp. All in all it was a nice night away, and one I most definitely needed. You learn to appreciate what you have, what other FOBs have and a make comparisons. Truly we are lucky to be where we are...

No comments:

Post a Comment