Friday, April 8, 2011

4 April 2011 - The French Hospital

4 April 2011
It has been a rough few days here…
Friday I went to medical because I was having some pains, very symptomatic of a cyst, but a little more painful. It started Thursday night, and by Friday morning was giving me some pretty good pain, my blood pressure was up, my heart rate was high and I was very nauseous. I ended up throwing up, Anyhow, I went to medical, they immediately put me on IV’s and ran some blood tests to ensure it wasn’t my appendix. After a full exam, it seemed obvious that it was my ovary, not appendix. The Doctor here wanted to ensure I didn’t have a twisted ovary, so he sent me to the French hospital to get an Ultra Sound. So after about an hour, I was Medevac’d to KIA French Hospital.

Fortunately, Trisha came with me.. which was a blessing!! OMGosh..

When I got there, they took out the IV, and drew blood from the other arm.. (Maybe they don’t trust the US medical?? LOL) Anyhow, then brought in the Ultra Sound machine, after forcing me to fill my bladder (which would’ve been easier through the IV… just sayin..)

Anyhow, the diagnosis.. 3.5 by 3.5cm cyst that was hemorrhaging. Now, I have a history of cysts.. but never a history of bleeding cysts.. I had a cyst and it was bleeding internally to my ovary.. it was definitely painful – but fortunately, before I left my medical office, they had given me a shot of toradol and morphine. I was not in any pain… until several hours later, when the meds wore off..

Anyhow, after the ultra sound, the French Dr said he wanted to keep me in observation – I was originally told.. overnight.. but that changed to 2 nights.
Anyhow, I was taken back to a room (it was the isolation room; I can only assume I was back there because I was the only female patient? )

I was brought back there – dropped off, and not spoke to again for about 15 hours.. No Doctor came to see me, no nurse, no one to tell me what was going on, no vitals.. NOTHING. NOTHING for 15 hours. I had to go to the desk that night to try and convay I was in pain and needed pain meds..

I was given something that made me sleepy.. but did NOT take away the pain..
The next morning, the Doctors did their rounds at 0800 – that is when I found out I was being kept for (observation) for another night.. What kind of observation was this?? I don’t get it..

I woke up at about 440am.. after not having slept much.. being in pain all night. And basically woke up crying.. and in pain.. I ended up calling my boss to get some help.. these guys weren’t talking to me.. couldn’t understand me.. and it was extremely frustrating..

Anyhow, again, I was pretty much alone, until the next day. I was able to convey I wanted meds, and a blanket.. but.. that was about it..

Ultimately I was released the next morning – but they did not do a follow up blood test, no follow up ultra sound.. nothing.. I needed to get out of there.. those guys were only giving me Motrin and Tylenol.. and after having Toradol and Morphine at my base…

Fortunately there was an American Dr that came in and helped me out..

Finally, I was released Sunday morning, and came back here to NKC. My doctor here gave me some real meds, put me on 48 hours bed rest.. and here I am. I think the anti-inflammatories are working wonders and suspect I will be back to work tomorrow.. the pain is mostly bearable and not near as bad as it was the first few days..

Besides.. I am a horrible patient and hate to be strapped down to my bed, so to speak..

I am glad to be out of there and back at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment